Subscribe for our FREE Gripping Grammar Tips here!

Friday 10 May 2013

Top Most Popular English Idioms!!




Popular idioms and their meanings.
You're talking to an English native when all of a sudden he comes out with "Piece of cake". Idioms are all too commonly used in the English language, most of the time natives use them without even realising it.
Below is a list of popular idioms that are commonly used. Hopefully you'll be able to implement them into your conversations with natives or other students who are learning English.

Idiom - Piece of cake.
Meaning: When someone says they've finished a piece of work that they've found easy, they'd hand it into the teacher and say 'Piece of cake'. This indicates to the teacher that they've found the work easy to complete.

Example: 

Student: I've finished my work sir.
Teacher: How did you find the assignment.
Student: If I'm honest, it was a piece of cake.

Idiom: Pigs might fly.
Meaning: Have you ever seen a pig fly before? No? Me neither! This idiom basically means that something will never happen.

Example: 

Friend 1: I've got a feeling I may win the lottery tonight.
Friend 2: Yeah, and pigs might fly.
Friend 3: You aren't confident then?

Idiom: Blood's thicker than water.
Meaning: Normally a member of a family refers to this statement when informing someone that family commitment means more than that of a friend.

Example: 

Friend 1: Why won't you take my side on this issue?
Family member: Well, blood's thicker than water!
Friend 1: I understand.

Idiom: Speak of the devil.
Meaning: This is used when you're talking about the person who has just arrived.

Example: 

Friend 1: Have you heard about what Robert got up to at the weekend?
Friend 2: No, why?
*Robert walks through the door*
Friend 1: Ah, speak of the devil.
Robert: Have I missed something?

Idiom: Feeling a bit under the weather.
Meaning: Feeling slightly unwell.

Example: 

Friend 1: How are you today Jan?
Friend 2: If I'm honest, I'm feeling a bit under the weather today.
Friend 1: Have you been to see the doctor?
Friend 2: I think I'll give them a call today.

Idiom: Costs an arm and a leg.
Meaning: This is often used when we believe something is very expensive.

Example:

Friend 1: Asda has become so expensive.
Friend 2: I agree, it costs an arm and a leg to buy anything in there.
Friend 1: I think I'll look elsewhere from now on.

Idiom: Once in a blue moon.
Meaning: When something happens that is very rarely.

Example:

Andrew: I heard someone was just handing out money near McDonald's yesterday.
Mike: Yeah right, that kind of thing happens once in a blue moon.
Andrew: True, but still, imagine someone giving away free money.

Idiom: A hot potato.
Meaning: This is used to describe a topic which is being spoke about by quite a few people.

Example:

Friend 1: Did you hear about the affair between the manager and her co manager.
Friend 2: Yeah, everyone's talking about it apparently.
Friend 1: Yeah, that topic's a bit of a hot potato at the moment.

Idiom: Cut corners.
Meaning: When something is done poorly to try and save money.

Example:

Friend 1: This presentation was not what I expected, it looks so cheap and tacky.
Friend 2: By the looks of it, I'd say money was a bit tight.
Friend 1: I'd say they've cut corners.
Friend 2: I agree, lets get out of here.


I hope you've enjoyed learning about some of the most popular idioms that are used within the English language.
The next time you're speaking English, why not have a go at using a few of them? :))

1StepEnglish














2 comments:

  1. Adding a separate language learning section would help enhancing the usability of a library. Many people love to learn a new language because it helps to know a different culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this article is so useful since a lot of people (especially the one with English as the second language) are confused about idiom :D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment for me. I enjoy reading them and will reply back to you :)